THE PRO-AM’s TOP PRO
Tom Watson, the 2001 Senior PGA Champion, posted the low professional round in the Pro-Am held today at the Senior PGA Championship. Watson offset two bogeys with four birdies for a 2-under-par 68 to edge Ohio native John Cook by one stroke. Defending Senior PGA Champion Jay Haas and Wayne Grady, the 1990 PGA Champion, each shot even-par 70.
THE PRO-AM’s TOP TEAM
In the team competition, 1997 U.S. Ryder Cup Team Captain Tom Kite led his group to victory. Kite and amateurs David Biscan, Bob Morris, Bob Nakasone and Jonathan Vassil shot 13-under-par 57 to win by one stroke over the team paced by two-time PGA Champion Nick Price (Jim Brown, Mac McLaughlin, Jerry Draga and Greg Bumbu).
For photos of the Pro-Am visit www.SeniorPGA2009.com.
“These fairways [at Canterbury Golf Club] are better than a lot of greens I’ve putted on.” — PGA Club Professional Mike San Filippo, competing this week in his seventh consecutive Senior PGA Professional.
“There are two things you must do this week to be successful here [at Canterbury]: You must drive the ball in the fairway and you must keep the ball below the hole. This is probably the toughest set of greens I have ever played on one golf course.” — Kirk Hanefeld, the 2008 Senior PGA Professional National Champion, who is making his fourth consecutive appearance in the Senior PGA Championship.
A GATHERING OF CHAMPIONS
One of the great traditions of Senior PGA Championship week is the annual gathering of both Senior PGA Champions and PGA Champions for dinner and camaraderie. On Tuesday night, Defending Senior PGA Champion Jay Haas hosted the Champions’ Dinner at Canterbury Golf Club. He was joined by 14 other Champions, including:
- Allen Doyle (1999 Senior PGA Champion)
- Hale Irwin (1996, 1997, 1998, 2004 Senior PGA Champion)
- John Jacobs (2003 Senior PGA Champion)
- Mike Reid (2005 Senior PGA Champion)
- Charlie Sifford (1975 Senior PGA Champion)
- Jeff Sluman (1988 PGA Champion)
- Dave Stockton (1970 and 1976 PGA Champion)
- Hal Sutton (1983 PGA Champion)
- Bob Tway (1986 PGA Champion)
- Lanny Wadkins (1977 PGA Champion)
- Tom Wargo (1993 Senior PGA Champion)
- Denis Watson (2007 Senior PGA Champion)
- Tom Watson (2001 Senior PGA Champion)
- Fuzzy Zoeller (2002 Senior PGA Champion)
They dined on a menu chosen by Haas and his wife, Jan, which included:
- Baby mixed greens with warm brie in puff pastry
- Petit filet mignon with rosemary-infused reduction
- Lobster tail with scallion-lemon zest buerre blanc
- Whipped potato croquette
- Grilled asparagus
- White chocolate banana cream pie (a favorite of Jay and Jan Haas and a recipe from Winnie Palmer, the late wife of Arnold Palmer)
As a gift to the assembled Champions, Haas selected a Match Pewter pitcher.